Where does our Applied Research come from?
Alfonso Bastias, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Dr. Bastias is the CEO of Andes Arena and Visiting Professor of Construction Engineering and Management in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering at the University of Colorado Boulder. He had been involved in research projects with the National Regulatory Research Institute (NRRI), National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP), U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) and the Construction Industry Institute (CII), Ministry of Public Works (Chile), Chilean Chamber of Construction (CChC), and The Construction Institute (Chile).
Research interests include Decision Support Systems, Decision Making, Risk Management, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Software Development, Knowledge Management and Leadership.
Alfonso has a B.S. in Industrial Engineering, a M.Sc. in Civil Engineering from Catholic University of Chile and a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from University of Colorado Boulder.
Selected Publications from our Research Team
This is a selected list of publications from our research assoociates. Andes Arena Inc. does not publish research papers, we do applied research.
- Alarcon L. , Molenaar K., Bastias A. and Mesa H. 2022. Book Chapter: "Decision Models to Support the Selection And Implementation of Lean Construction". Book: "Lean Construction 4.0: Driving a Digital Revolution of Production Management in the AEC Industry". ISBN-13: 978-0367714208. ISBN-10: 0367714205.
- Saavedra, C. 2016. "The Marketing Challenge for Industrial Companies: Advanced Concepts and Practices (Management for Professionals)". ISBN-13: 978-3319306094. ISBN-10: 331930609X.
- Cisterna, D., Lagos, C.I., Haghsheno, S., 2022. "International Assessment of Artificial Intelligence applications offered in the AEC Industry". European Conference on Product and Process Modelling, Trondheim, Norway.
- Pérez, D., Lagos, C. & Alarcón, L.F., 2021. "Key Last Planner System Metrics to Assess Project Performance in High-rise Building and Industrial Construction Projects". Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. Vol. 148, Issue 1.
- Metayer G., Torres-Machi, C., Bastias, A. (2019) "A Proposed Framework for the Integrated Management of Municipal Infrastructure". CRC 2020.
- Gregory, S., Bastias, A., Molenaar, K.R., Madson, K. and Franz, B., Potter, L., Kremer, G. (2019). "Assessing the Influence of Manufacturing Flexibility on Facility Construction Costs". Proceedings of the 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- Potter, L., Raje, S., Oftedal, J., and Okudan Kremer, G., Bastias, A. and Molenaar, K.R., Madson, K. and Franz, B. 2019. "Developing a TRIZ-based Design for Flexibility Tool for Manufacturing Facilities". Proceedings of the 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- Lagos, C.I., Herrera, R., Alarcón, L.F., 2017. "Contributions of Information Technologies to Last Planner System Implementation". Proceedings of the 25th International Group of Lean Construction IGLC-LC3, Heraklion, Greece.
- Baesler, F. Nemeth, M. Bastías, A. Martinez, C. 2014. "Analysis of Inventory Strategies for Blood Components in a Regional Blood Centre using Process Simulation". Transfusion, doi: 10.1111/trf.12287 (ISI)
- Molenaar, K., Javernick-Will, A., Bastias, A., Wardwell, M., and Saller, K. (2013). “Construction Project Peer Reviews as an Early Indicator of Project Success.” Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE. Vol 29(4), 327 333. Permalink: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ME.1943-5479.0000149 (ISI)
- Bastias A. and González, A., 2012. "The Application of Learning Systems to Support Decision for Stakeholder and Infrastructures Managers based on Crowdsourcing." World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology. http://www.waset.org, 28-29 November 2012, Paris - France
- Bastias, A., Horvath, E., Baesler, F. y Silva C. 2011. "Predictive Model Based on Neural Networks to Assist the Diagnosis of Malignancy of Thyroid Nodules". International Conference on Computers & Industrial Engineering, CIE 41th, Los Angeles, CA, EEUU. October 23-26, 2011.
- Bastias A. and Cortés, P., 2011. "Identification of Best Practices to Achieve Innovation, Corporate Entrepreneurship and Spinoff in Chilean Companies." International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management. http://www.ieem.org, 6 to 9 December 2011, Singapore
- Bastias, A., Molenaar K, 2010. "A Learning Model for Design-Build Project Selection in the Public Sector". Revista de Ingeniería en Construcción UC. Vol 25(1).2010, 5-20. doi: 10.4067/S0718-50732010000100001
- Chinowsky, P., Molenaar, K., and Bastias, A. 2007. "Measuring Achievement of the Learning Organization in the Construction Industry". Journal of Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, Vol.14(3), 215-227. DOI: 10.1108/09699980710744872 (Outstanding Paper Award 2008).
- Alarcón, L.F., and Bastías A. 2000. "A computer environment to support the strategic decision-making process in construction firms". Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, Blackwell, Vol. 7(1), 63-75.
- Bastias, A. 2006. "Towards the Application of Learning Systems for Decision Support in Construction Engineering and Management". Doctoral Degree Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder. ISBN 9780542684388